Deputy Sheriff – Law Enforcement
Performs general duty uniform patrol/law enforcement work to protect lives, property, and rights of the public for the County Sheriff’s Office. Answers complaint calls, and patrols the County in an official vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, or on foot to deter crime, apprehend violators or suspects; and investigate and secure crime scenes. Responsibilities also include serving legal papers and testifying in court.
- High school graduate or equivalent with experience in law enforcement as a deputy sheriff, police officer, or a security guard preferred; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Applicants must meet established medical requirements; be a United States citizen; and at least 21 years of age.
- Must pass the Basic Law Enforcement Academy program as administered through an accredited academy within 1 year of employment.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia with good driving record mandatory.
- Requires annual qualification on the Sheriff’s Office Firearms Qualification Course, and the ability to maintain Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) Basic Law Enforcement Certification.
- Successful public safety applicants employed by York County must agree to refrain from using tobacco products off and on duty.