Deputy Sheriff I
$73,648.56 – $89,909.76 Annually
We are looking for the right person to join our team. The Deputy Sheriff is one who is truly interested in working for the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office and is motivated by making a difference. The candidate must have a passion for protecting, advocating, and enforcing laws for the safety of our community. The law enforcement field is exciting, and it provides so many opportunities for growth with the potential of promotion.
Here are some duties performed by our Deputy Sheriffs:
- Patrols assigned areas in a vehicle, boat, UTV, or on foot and answers calls for protection of life and property
- Conducts preliminary investigations, interrogates witnesses, collects evidence, and takes statements in connection with suspected criminal activities; substantiates findings of fact in court
- Assists and cooperates with other law enforcement agencies in investigations and arrests; maintains departmental files and records
- If assigned to a contract city/town, provides for the investigation and documentation of traffic collisions, apprehension and arrest of persons driving under the influence, and routine traffic law enforcement
- Performs jailer and/or bailiff duties as assigned
Education and Experience Required
The Minimum Age for Peace Officers has increased from 18 years of age to 21 years of age as of January 1, 2022.
Equivalent to completion of twelfth grade. Completion of at least 30 units of college education is desired from an accredited college or university.
Licenses and Certificates:
Possession of a valid driver’s license within 30 days of hire.
Proof of either A) or B), listed below, must be submitted at the time of application:
A) Completion of POST basic training course within six (6) years if never employed as a peace officer or three (3) years if employed as a peace officer;
B) Completion of POST basic requalification course administered by the State Commission on POST with no longer than a three (3) year break of employment as a peace officer (possession of a valid POST Basic certificate will satisfy this requirement).
A valid PELLETB T-Score of 45 or higher is required. The score must be no older than 3 years from the date of application and must be submitted on agency letterhead at time of application.