Deputy Sheriff – Enforcement
Seeking one enforcement deputy in the Clatsop County Sheriff’s Office. Duties include performing assigned patrol law enforcement work necessary to maintain public peace and order, to protect life and property, to prevent crime, to apprehend suspected violators of the law, and otherwise to ensure the enforcement of state laws and county ordinances under jurisdiction of the Sheriff’s Office. Qualified applicants will be held in a pool to fill future enforcement deputy opportunities anticipated over the next six to twelve months.
- Willingness to develop a thorough knowledge of principles and methods employed in modern law enforcement and investigation work; applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances; law enforcement equipment including firearms, vehicles, radios, crime investigation kits, and intoxilyzer. Knowledge of specific word processing software utilized within the Sheriff’s Office desirable.
- Must meet the minimum standards established by Oregon Revised Statutes as a Police Officer as follows:
- o Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age and be a citizen of the United States.
- o Must possess a driving record free of violations that relate to ability to learn the awareness, responsiveness and skill necessary to drive police vehicles safely and effectively under on-duty conditions.
- Must possess a valid state driver’s license at the time of appointment and obtain a valid Oregon driver’s license within thirty days of hiring.
- DPSST Basic Police Certification or be able to obtain DPSST Basic Police Certification within 18 months of hire.
- Multilingual, one or more years of college and OSSA Search and Rescue Association Certification desirable.
- Able to deal with individuals and groups with understanding, tact, and courtesy; acquire knowledge of investigative methods, evidence development and preservation, traffic and crowd control methods, patrol procedures; speak and write effectively; remain flexible and adapt to changing circumstances, demands, and philosophies; and identify a problem or potential problem, secure the necessary relevant information, interpret and analyze the situation, evaluate alternative solutions and render an appropriate judgment of decision, often under stressful circumstances.