Performs professional sworn law enforcement work to protect the citizens and property within Cumberland County. Each Deputy Sheriff will receive general supervision in daily activities, with more difficult situations performed under the direct supervision or in conjunction with either a Deputy Sheriff Corporal or Deputy Sheriff Sergeant.
Examples of Duties
- Performs general law enforcement duties to include patrolling the County during an assigned shift in a vehicle, or on a motorcycle or on a bike.
- Preventing, detecting, and investigating disturbances and crimes.
- Serving various civil and criminal papers.
- Responding to calls; apprehend and arresting suspects.
- Transporting suspects and criminals to the County Detention Center, other detention and mental health facilities.
- Participating in community policing functions.
- Assisting other law enforcement agencies with investigations and emergencies.
- Work involves frequent public contact which requires tact, firmness, and decisiveness.
- Work is performed under regular supervision and is evaluated through observation, discussion, and review of reports for adherence to laws, agency policy and procedures, and proper judgment.
**A Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) Certification is required for this position. Applicants must possess a BLET Certification to be considered for this position**
**Please refer to and apply for our Deputy Sheriff Cadet position posting to obtain the required BLET Certification for this position.**
Must be a United States Citizen, be at least 20 years of age, have a high school diploma or GED and a valid North Carolina driver’s license. Must be able to pass a comprehensive background investigation which includes, but not limited to, criminal background check, physical abilities test, polygraph testing, medical exam, drug-screen, and psychological screening. Must be able to work 12 hour rotating shifts. Must reside within 40 miles of the Sheriff’s Law Enforcement Center.