Salary: $29.12 per hour.
Open until filled
Under direction of the Sheriff and supervisors, the Deputy Sheriff performs general duty law enforcement work to protect life and property and enforce state and local laws and ordinances throughout Fillmore County.
- Patrol Fillmore County to preserve law and order and prevent or discover crimes. Patrol all areas within Fillmore County, including U.S. Highways, State Highways, County Roads and Township Roads. Patrol areas may also include cities within Fillmore County that are with or without their own police department. This also includes Spring Valley, Wykoff, Harmony, Canton and Mabel, which are contracted with the Fillmore County Sheriff’s Office for Law Enforcement services.
- Assist local police departments within Fillmore County, other state and local agencies, whenever possible and practical, with situations including but not limited to accidents, domestic assaults, fights, burglaries, thefts, special events or other instances that require assistance.
- Investigation of vehicle accidents, various crimes, and deaths including collection and preservation of evidence.
- Prepare reports documenting work activity.
- Serve Civil Process documents, including but not limited to Summons and Complaints, Court Orders, Foreclosure Notices, Orders for Protection, Harassment Orders and Subpoenas.
- Execute arrest warrants.
- Testify in court and participate in the preparation of court cases.
- Investigate missing persons cases, including but not limited to children and vulnerable adults as necessary and required by law.
- Conduct search and rescue in instances of lost persons, such as hunters, bikers, hikers, cavers, swimmers, boaters and tubers. This may also include downed aircraft and stranded snowmobilers.
- Transport/escort prisoners and others to and from court, jail, other jurisdictions or rehabilitative institutions.
- Assist in medical emergencies, emergency, and natural disaster situations.
- Must be POST licensed or eligible by the application deadline, have valid driver’s license.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Be able to perform essential functions of the position and free of any disqualifying criminal or driving record history.
- Successful applicants must undergo a physical and psychological examination and successfully complete a background check.
- Experience as a part-time or full-time peace officer is a preferred potential with a change for lateral entry.