Performs professional sworn law enforcement work to protect citizens and property within the County. Employees receive general supervision in daily activities, with more difficult situations performed under the direct supervision or in conjunction with either a Deputy Sheriff Corporal or Deputy Sheriff Sergeant.
Applicants may submit an application once every 365 days.
Examples of Duties
- Performs general law enforcement duties to include patrolling the County during an assigned shift in a vehicle, or on a motorcycle or on a bike.
- Preventing, detecting, and investigating disturbances and crimes.
- Serving various civil and criminal papers.
- Responding to calls; apprehend and arresting suspects.
- Transporting suspects and criminals to the County Detention Center, other detention, and mental health facilities.
- Participating in community policing functions.
- Assisting other law enforcement agencies with investigations and emergencies.
- Work involves frequent public contact which requires tact, firmness, and decisiveness.
- Work is performed under regular supervision and is evaluated through observation, discussion, and review of reports for adherence to laws, agency policy and procedures, and proper judgment.
- Rendering appropriate aid and executing related assignments
**This position requires you to have a Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) Certification**
**This job is NOT for the BLET Academy**
Must be a United States Citizen, be at least 21 years of age, have a high school diploma or GED and a valid North Carolina driver’s license. Must be able to pass a comprehensive background investigation which includes, but not limited to, criminal background check, physical abilities test, polygraph testing, medical exam, drug-screen, and psychological screening. Must be able to work 12 hour rotating shifts. Must reside within 40 miles of the Sheriff’s Law Enforcement Center.