The Durham County Sheriff’s Office is seeking qualified candidates that embody the values and diversity of the Durham County community.
We are now accepting applications for Deputy Sheriff from individuals that are both non-certified and North Carolina Basic Law Enforcement Certified (BLET). If you are interested in becoming a member of the Durham County Sheriff’s Office, we also offer a dual certification process. This allows you the opportunity to first be certified as a detention officer before becoming a deputy.
CLOSING DATE: June 30, 2022
SALARY MIN: $34,000
SALARY MAX: $64,800
• Patrols an assigned area within Durham County, checks property, answers call for service, investigates crimes and disturbances as well as arrest violators of the law.
• Enforces the federal, state and local laws.
• Provides security for the courts of the State of North Carolina.
• Transports prisoners, mental patients and inebriates.
• Serves both civil and criminal process as directed by the courts.
• Assist other local, state and federal agencies in their law enforcement functions.
• Investigates crimes through assignment or develops cases to investigate.
• Gives public presentations.
• Teaches G.R.E.A.T.
• Works as a School Resource Officer.
• Prevents crime.
• Performs special assignments or tasks, including under-cover and clerical.
• Prepares reports as required by Office policy.
• Performs other duties as required by the Sheriff.
• Must be at least 21 years old.
• Must be BLET certified.
• Must be a citizen of the United States.
• Must have a high school diploma or equivalent. **Training and Standards require a high school equivalency diploma be at least partial classroom.
• Must possess or be able to possess a North Carolina driver’s license.
• Must not have been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor.
• Must meet all the applicable standards and qualify for State Law Enforcement Certification in accordance with the North Carolina Sheriffs’ Training & Standards Commission as well as the policies of the Office of the Sheriff of Durham County.
• You live within 35 miles of downtown Durham (or are willing to relocate upon being hired).