Contra Costa County Deputy Sheriff’s Pay Range
$97,753.85- $124,761.41 (2022-2023)
20% pay increase over 4 year period effective 07/01/2019
$3,000 Hiring Bonus for Laterals
No Retirement “Maximum Age”
Wide Variety of Assignments
Numerous Promotional Opportunities
The Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff is seeking men and women interested in an exciting and challenging career in law enforcement. Prior law enforcement jobs in CA are not required. Individuals who are appointed as Deputy Sheriff-Recruit will be assigned to attend our Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) approved police academy, which involves 26 weeks of intensive academic instruction combined with rigorous physical fitness training Upon successful completion of the Academy, recruits will graduate and be sworn in as Peace Officers and promoted to the first step of Deputy Sheriff. Academy graduates are initially assigned to the Custody Services Bureau.
- License: Valid California Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at time of appointment.
- Education: Possession of a US high school diploma, G.E.D. equivalency, or California high school proficiency certificate.
- Age: Must be 21 years of age or older at time of appointment. No maximum age
- Citizenship: United States Citizen or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship a minimum of one year ago.
- Vision: 20/100 uncorrected each eye; corrected to 20/30 each eye.
- Hearing: Must not have suffered a hearing loss of over 25 decibels in the 500, 1000, and 2000 frequency ranges for each ear.
- Physical: Ability to meet such health standards established by the County Medical Consultant.