This position requires a Peace Officer Certification through TCOLE and requires thorough work knowledge of law enforcement procedures. The individual has daily contact with the public and is responsible for the preparation of offense reports. Responds to delegation of duties from Corporal, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, or Chief Deputy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Duties include the following:
- Maintains contact with the public, court officials, and other county officials in the performance of Sheriff’s Office activities, as assigned.
- Personally participates in investigating criminal law violations occurring within Comal County, obtaining evidences and compiling information regarding these crimes, preparing cases for filing of charges, testifying in court and related activities.
- Works a uniformed shift in the performance of routine patrols, traffic control, investigation and first aid at accidents, detection, investigation and arrest of persons involved in crimes or misconduct.
- Maintains normal availability by radio or telephone for consultation on major emergencies or precedent.
- Carries out duties in conformance with Federal laws, State laws and Comal County ordinances.
- Patrols county streets and roads, parks, commercial and residential areas to preserve the peace and enforce the law, control vehicular traffic, prevent or detect and investigate misconduct involving misdemeanors, felonies and other law violations and to otherwise serve and protect.
- Responds to emergency radio calls and investigates accidents, robberies, civil disturbances, domestic disputes, fights, drunkenness, missing children, prowlers, abuse of drugs, etc. Takes appropriate law enforcement action.
- Interrogates suspects, witnesses and drivers; preserves evidence; arrests violators; investigates and renders assistance at scene of vehicular accidents, summons ambulances and other law enforcement vehicles; takes measurements and draws diagrams of scene; conducts follow-up investigations of crimes committed during assigned shift; leads and tips; searches scene of crimes for clues; analyzes and evaluates evidence and arrests offenders; prepares cases for giving testimony and testifies in court proceedings.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or GED equivalent required. Must pass a written entrance exam and physical agility test. Must pass physical exam. Must pass psychological exam. The individual should possess a thorough knowledge of law enforcement procedures and practices. A minimum of one (1) year of experience in law enforcement is desirable.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Other specialized job requirements include a valid Texas driver’s license in order to operate county vehicles and a basic Peace Officer Certification with the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE). Must be able to meet TCOLE and department requirements for psychological and medical examinations. Must successfully complete and pass the Comal County Sheriff’s Office Physical Readiness Testing Program.