$26.00 – $34.25 Hourly
Join our team as a Deputy Sheriff (anticipated opening) in the Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office. Grow your career while being a part of an organization you can be proud of.
SCOPE OF POSITION: Deputy Sheriffs enforce the laws of the United States and the State of New Hampshire, protect citizens and keep the peace. Deputy Sheriffs enforce criminal and vehicular laws, serve civil process and transport prisoners consistent with Sheriff’s Office Rules and Regulations and Standard Operating Procedures.
Example of duties
- Arresting individuals on misdemeanor and felony warrants.
- Extradition of fugitives nationwide.
- Service of court orders and civil process.
- Investigating crimes, questioning suspects and interviewing witnesses.
- Handles traffic control, speed enforcement and accident investigation.
- Handles transportation, custody, and control of prisoners.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Ability to meet all physical, mental, educational and other qualifications for certification (or continued certification) as a NH police officer by NH Police Standards and Training Council.
- Thorough knowledge of NH Criminal Code and motor vehicle laws.
- Excellent public relations skills.
- Ability to make effective decisions under emergency or stressful situations.
- Exceptional knowledge of law enforcement practices, techniques and principles.
- Requires a New Hampshire driver’s license, a clean criminal record, ability to pass a rigorous background investigation, occupational health assessment, drug test, oral interview, written test, physical assessment test, polygraph, and psychological evaluations.
- Completion of a two-year associate degree plus one year of related experience is preferred or the equivalent combination of education and experience can satisfy the requirements.
- Prior law enforcement certification and experience preferred.
Exemptions to the eligibility criteria may be waived by the High Sheriff.