Salary: $23.03 – $28.83 Hourly
The Newaygo County Sheriff is seeking an individual to fill the full-time Deputy position. The selected candidate will be responsible for protection of life and property through enforcement of laws. They will patrol assigned areas, investigate, make arrests, direct and control traffic, write violation citations, prepare reports, appear in court, serve civil process, and provide services and assistance to public. In addition, the selected candidate could also be subject to assignments such as School Resource, Drug Enforcement, and Traffic Enforcement Deputy. If the candidate lives in Newaygo County, they will be required to take home their cruiser between shifts.
- Must meet the following MCOLES standards: Currently licensed or considered “licensable” by MCOLES standards. MCOLES certified Police Academy or Police Certification Program with a projected graduation date no later than November 1st, 2022 and provide proof of same. Any applicant who fails to comply with these requirements shall become ineligible (certification must be maintained throughout the term of the eligibility).
- At least 21 years of age as of date of filing official application.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Vision correctable to 20/20 with no major defects; normal color vision; normal hearing.
- Able to pass any physical agility test required to determine physical fitness for the performance of duties of position to be filled.
- No prior felony convictions.
- Valid Michigan Driver License with good driving record. Out-of-state applicants must provide current driving record at time of application and obtain State of Michigan license within one (1) month of employment.
- Must have taken and passed the MCOLES Pre-employment Test (reading and writing test).