Salary: $2,294.85 biweekly.
- Regularly conducts proactive and reactive patrol of County roads and other designated areas, maintaining high visibility and ensuring security of residences and businesses. Investigates and reports all suspicious or unlawful activities, and performs necessary actions to enforce laws.
- Monitors radio and other communication devices, and responds to alarms and citizen calls of distress and complaints of alleged unlawful activity, including assessing and bringing situations under control, taking statements from victims and witnesses, providing assistance, and ensuring lawful apprehension and arrest of criminal offenders.
- Stops drivers of vehicles for traffic violations, verifying licenses and registration data, effecting breathalyzer tests as necessary, advising drivers of safe driving practices, issuing warnings/citations, and/or arresting drivers as warranted.
- Responds to and investigates traffic accidents, including assessing extent of personal injuries, calling for emergency medical assistance, photographing, video taping and measuring accident scenes, taking statements from victims and witnesses, directing removal of damaged vehicles, and ensuring area is clear. Assists with extracting, providing emergency medical care, and lifting victims onto stretchers and into medical vehicles as needed.
- Directs vehicular and pedestrian traffic when congestion occurs or as directed.
- Pursues, apprehends, searches and arrests suspects using only necessary physical force, advising them of rights, and transporting to detention area. Prevents individuals from injuring themselves or others by using physical restraint or appropriate weapons.
- Participates in formal investigation of crimes by searching crime scenes, collecting, preserving and protecting evidence according to prescribed procedures, interviewing victims and witnesses, and conducting neighborhood checks. Searches persons and property with and without a warrant in accordance with the law.
- Transports individuals detained by the County to appropriate courts, detention or medical facilities.
- Enters data on computer and prepares and submits all required reports according to department deadlines.
- Serves various legal documents, including summonses, court orders to appear and notices of hearings, and returns documents to appropriate officials/courts. Periodically testifies in court as required.
- Maintains appearance and serviceability of all issued and/or required police vehicles, uniforms, equipment and weapons.
- May serve on or coordinate specialized law enforcement teams, such as K-9, SWAT or dive teams, or may be given special assignments, such as public speaking or providing police escort.
- Participates in and may instruct training programs for certification in specialized law enforcement areas as assigned or required.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED and certification or ability to be certified by the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy within time period specified by department.
- Ability to meet all departmental hiring and retention requirements, including not posing a direct threat to the health and safety of other individuals in the workplace.
- Ability to legally carry a handgun and qualify by obtaining a passing score in the Handgun Course of Fire and Shotgun Course of Fire, as required by the standards of the Indiana Law Enforcement Training Board.
- Working knowledge of and ability to use and properly maintain all assigned uniforms, department equipment and weapons; ability to legally operate department vehicles.
- Working knowledge of standard practices and procedures in administering first aid and CPR. Working knowledge of universal health precautions and bloodborne pathogens control, and ability to apply such knowledge in the field to protect oneself from infection.
- Ability to work alone and with others in a team environment with minimum direct supervision.
- Ability to work evening, extended, irregular, and weekend hours.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and demonstrated safe driving record.