SALARY: $49,192.00 – $76,514.46 Annually (Placed in Step Plan After Completion of Training)
What an exciting time to be a Deputy in Volusia County! This position offers day-to-day exciting challenges, opportunities for growth, in addition to helping and making a positive difference in our community. Positions will be located throughout Volusia County, with responsibility for general public safety, emphasis on the protection of life and property and the enforcement of laws and regulations. Area of assignment is at the discretion of the Sheriff.
(NOTE: These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position.)
- Answers a wide variety of calls and complaints involving automobile accidents, domestic disturbances, misdemeanors or felonies.
- May perform duties of a school resource officer.
- Serves writs, warrants, summonses and civil papers.
- Enforces traffic laws and regulations on all roads within Volusia County.
- Conducts preliminary investigations, obtains witnesses and evidence, makes arrests and transports prisoners to and from confinement areas.
- Testifies in court relative to arrests made.
Graduation from high school or completion of a GED, AND completion of the Minimum Standards Course required by the Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission for police officers.
Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver’s license at the time of hire.
Applicant must obtain a passing score on the State of Florida Law Enforcement Certification exam, prior to appointment, and meet the qualifications for employment set forth in section 943.13, Florida Statute which includes:
- At least nineteen (19) years of age
- A citizen of the United States
- A high school graduate or its equivalent
- No felony convictions or misdemeanor convictions involving perjury or a false statement
- No dishonorable or undesirable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States
- Fingerprints on file with the employing agency
- Passed a physical examination by a licensed physician based on specifications established by the commission
- Good moral character as determined by a background investigation under procedures established by the Commission.
- Must also possess a valid Florida Driver’s License at the time of appointment.
- Applicants will undergo a polygraph, psychological examination and background investigation.
- Must successfully complete the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office Field Training and Evaluation Program (FTEP).
- Must successfully pass shooting assessment and physical test (PAT) to qualify for an interview.