Salary: $42,182.40 – $52,918.32 Annually.
Performs intermediate protective service work in the Sheriff’s Department involving an element of personal danger. Work is performed under regular supervision.
- On an assigned shift, operates a patrol car to observe for violations of laws, suspicious activities or persons and disturbances of law and order.
- Responds to radio dispatches and answers calls and complaints.
- Serves warrants, summons, subpoenas, court orders, and makes arrests; testifies in court.
- Serves court orders and civil process papers; performs required follow-up tasks.
- Based on training and level of experience, may be assigned to special duty area such as school resource officer, DARE officer, bailiff, training officer, process server, community police, etc.
- Controls traffic and crowds at fires, EMS responses and crime scenes.
- Assists other law enforcement officers in investigations.
- Transports prisoners and mental patients to facilities throughout the state.
- Acts as dispatcher; receives emergency and non-emergency medical, fire and law enforcement calls; dispatches appropriate emergency services to the scene.
- Assists with criminal investigations by presenting evidence, interviewing victims and witnesses, recording and issuing of evidence in court cases.
- Enforces animal control laws, investigates complaints, captures animals, and assists with animal shelter duties.
- Prepares a variety of detailed reports or activities; keeps necessary files.
- May be assigned to a variety of administrative tasks such as purchasing, time keeping, and related duties.
- Performs work during emergency/disaster situations.
- Performs related tasks as required.
- Possession of Basic Law Enforcement Certificate issued by the State of North Carolina.
- Must meet and maintain minimum qualifications for the position established by the department and the State of North Carolina.
- May be required to complete Employment Security Commission Aptitude Test and submit to a psychological examination.
- Polygraph examination and extensive background review required.
- Must be exposed to Taser and OC Spray
- Must pass pre-hire firearms qualifications with a score of 80% or higher
- Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of North Carolina.
- Position is a safety-sensitive position as defined by the Drug Free Workplace Policy.
- Position is essential as defined by the Inclement Weather Plan.
- Position may include after-hours work or on-call duty.
- Requires graduation from high school or a GED.