Salary range: $23.08-$35.50.
Open Until Filled
Performs responsible protective service work in the Sheriff’s Office involving a variety of general or support duty assignments; does related work as required. Much of the work is performed under emergency conditions and involves considerable personal hazard. Work is performed under regular supervision.
- On an assigned shift, operates a patrol car to observe for violations of laws, suspicious activities or persons and disturbances of law and order; responds to radio dispatches and answers calls and complaints.
- Serves warrants, summons, subpoenas, court orders and civil process papers; makes arrests; testifies in court.
- Cooperates with law enforcement personnel or other governmental agencies.
- Transports prisoners, mental patients, and intoxicated persons to institutions for confinement or treatment.
- Provides protective escort; maintains order at public gatherings; directs traffic; escorts funeral processions.
- Receives and files reports of crimes; maintains logs and reports of gas mileage, vehicle maintenance, and shift activities; maintains, cleans and stocks law enforcement vehicle.
- Answers telephone; files papers; enters data into computerized system; prepares and maintains detailed reports and files.
- Investigates accidents and criminal activity; processes, fingerprints and searches arrestees; searches vehicles for evidence and contraband; searches for wanted or missing persons; makes field notes; takes reports of missing juveniles and adults.
- Assists disabled motorists; removes disabled vehicles from roadway; clears debris from roadways; removes livestock from roadway; investigates suspicious vehicles; assists fire and rescue.
- May be assigned to a variety of collateral duties such as school resource officer, D.A.R.E., court security, detention officer, records management, administrative support, animal control, etc.
- Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Possession of Basic Law Enforcement Certificate issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Possession of or ability to obtain specific certifications depending on departmental assignment.
- Must meet and maintain minimum qualifications for the position established by the department and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Must have the ability to pass physical.