Deputy Chief of Police
The Deputy Chief of Police is a high-functioning, high touch, and heavy campus and community engagement position responsible for the efficient and effective operation and delivery of the Department’s law enforcement and ancillary services across the enterprise.
A Deputy Chief of Police may assume full responsibility for the activities of the Department in the absence of the Chief. The role is expected to share and build upon the Chief’s vision, formulates objectives and priorities and implements engagement and recruitment plans, policies, and procedures.
- Exercises independent judgment and has discretionary authority within areas of responsibilities and makes enterprise wide decisions in matters pertaining to the day-to-day law enforcement, security, employment and support functions of the Department including the application of laws, ordinances, and policies.
- Serves as a change agent for innovation and modern policing practices; influences others to translate vision into action, and fosters optimal strategies designed to enhance the overall effectiveness of the department. Advances training and education standards for leadership development and professionalization of the Department.
- Analyzes complex police problems and exercises command in difficult and stressful situations.
- Prepares or directs the preparation and maintenance of necessary records and reports.
- Develops and implements staffing plans.
- Builds and maintains working relationships throughout the greater Emory community and with enterprise leadership and local, state and federal law enforcement agencies.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- A high school diploma or equivalent, and eight years of law enforcement experience which includes two years of that experience to have been as a Police Major, Captain, or higher position with arrest authority.
- A bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Current certification by Georgia P.O.S.T. as a peace officer, or the ability to obtain certification within six months.
- Able to meet background requirements, including must have or be able to obtain a valid Georgia driver’s license within 30 days from employment date.
- An insurable driving record.