Corrections Officer Recruit
Salary: USD $43,572.00/Yr. – USD $43,572.00/Yr.
This is protective service work at the trainee level in providing security in correctional facilities. Work requires a knowledge of techniques, methods, and procedures involved in correctional security, which involves the use of specialized skills or specialized equipment which is learned on the job and through specialized training. Contacts require basic courtesy, tact, and effectiveness in dealing with others, and includes contacts to request or provide information, ask questions, or obtain clarification. The work is routine following established routines, standing instructions, and established procedures, but some variation in the sequence of procedures used is permitted based on situations encountered in the workplace. The correctional security work is patterned involving similar situations and generally requiring only the choice of the correct procedure. Work is performed in a somewhat uncontrolled environment, where risks and hazards are substantial, but are known, somewhat predictable, and mostly controllable. Operates motor vehicles, electronic security and monitoring equipment, firearms, chemical agents, restraining devices, breath analyzer, and metal detectors, as well as standard office equipment such as personal computers. The physical demands consist of standing, walking, or sitting for extended periods of time and sometimes involve physical exertion to restrain inmates or quell a disturbance. Work is performed under direct supervision where the work assignments are subject to instructions and established work routines, and the worker is given latitude to rearrange the sequence based on changing work situations.
- Oversees custody of inmates at an assigned unit.
- Completes information for official records when processing inmates.
- Receives and reviews cash and surety bail bonds for accuracy and legibility.
- Releases inmates in accordance with established procedures.
- Oversees inmate work crews on or off city property.
- Maintains security of the institution, visitors, and welfare of the inmates.
- Transports inmates.
- Makes periodic tours of correctional facilities to check security and safety, and to inspect buildings, housing areas, and grounds for compliance with standards.
- Oversees inmate visitation, recreation, and other group activities.
- Maintains log of all pertinent events during assigned tour of duty.
- Conducts frequent counts of inmates at irregular intervals.
- Conducts periodic random searches of inmates.
- Counsels inmates concerning conduct, employment, and other matters.
- Operates personal computer, typewriter, two-way radio, vehicles, and standard office equipment.
- Administers basic first aid.
- Screens visitors requesting to see inmates.
- Provides information to inmates and to the public.
- Prepares reports on incidents and infractions.
- Provides security in hospitals, courtrooms, and other public places.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Jacksonville’s competencies.
- Performs related work as required.
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age;
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be a high school graduate or equivalent;
- Not have been convicted of any felony or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or a false statement;
- Not have received a dishonorable or undesirable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States;
- Have processed fingerprints on file;
- Pass medical examination which includes cardio-pulmonary stress test, back X-ray, hearing test, EKG, and visual examination to determine that applicant has normal night vision and color vision, good peripheral vision, and is free from any degenerative eye disease;
- Pass a thorough background investigation, including polygraph and psychological testing;
- Be of good moral character; execute and submit an Affidavit of Applicant form attesting to compliance with these requirements.