Are you seeking a career with purpose, a position serving your community with work that truly matters? If so, we are accepting applications for the position of Corrections Officer.
We will screen your application and if you best meet the qualifications, you will be invited to take our Corrections Officer Video Test (COVT). The test includes a variety of scenarios with multiple-choice answers including reading, writing, and counting assessments.
The test will take at least 3 hours to complete. Test dates are yet to be determined. Applicants will be notified by Email or US mail as soon as dates are available.
Your application is valid for 6 months after the date of submission. If you are not notified within 6 months, you will need to reapply.
Corrections Officers are responsible for maintaining the safety, custody, security, and control of inmates at all levels of security in all environments, including: indirect or direct supervision, prisoner processing, and work release.
Positions are assigned to the Justice Center located in Clayton and are full time. This is a 24/7 operation; employees may work day, evening, or night shifts. Visit the Justice Services website for detailed information relating to the management of the St. Louis County Justice Center.
The starting salary is $14.83 per hour. After successful completion of a six-month probationary period, the salary will increase to $15.20 per hour or $31,616 per year.
- Maintaining order and discipline within the housing units.
- Supervising, escorting, and transporting inmates.
- Coordinating and monitoring daily activities of inmates.
- Patrolling and inspecting housing units and inmate cells.
- Conducting scheduled and random searches of inmates and assigned areas to maintain a safe and secure environment.
- Maintaining an appropriate record of daily activities, disciplinary action, inmate movements, and services provided. Entering the information into a computerized system.
- Enforcing rules and regulations to ensure adherence to policy and defined procedures.
- Assisting fellow officers.
- Working to achieve the highest level of correlation to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the facility.
- Performing such additional duties as may properly be required of a position in this job class, with the required abilities and under the indicated working conditions and environment.