Corrections Officers contribute to the public safety mission by providing for the safety and security of the public, staff, and supervisees ensuring effective and safe custody and control along with compliance with policy and procedure.
This is successfully accomplished through the use of evidence based practices and principles that enhance effective communication strategies and role modeling as part of collaborative multi-disciplinary teams addressing supervisees needs.
Officers provide security over adult supervisees at the institution and while in transport; supervise the daily activities of supervisees while observing and recording their behavior and movement to ensure their safe and secure confinement. They interact with the visitors, staff, supervisees and public to maintain orderly and secure operations.
- High School Diploma or a GED equivalent.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Demonstrated ability to read and comprehend workplace policies and procedures and to prepare workplace reports and documentation.
- Ability to lawfully possess a firearm in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Ability to successfully complete all pre-employment requirements which include medical screening, background check and drug testing to include screening for marijuana use.
- Stable employment history.
- Military or related criminal justice experience.
- Coursework at a community college, college, or university.
- Individuals at least 21 years old (a waiver can be provided by the Unit Head for individuals 18-20 years old).
- Bi-lingual applicants are encouraged to apply.