Antrim County Sheriff’s Department is accepting applications for a full-time Corrections Deputy. Starting pay for a non-certified Corrections Deputy is $18.00 per hour with a 10% increase once candidate has completed the Corrections Academy within one year; Academy is paid for by the Sheriff’s Office. Certified Corrections Deputies starting pay is $19.99/hour plus benefits including pension. Current Corrections Deputies wages increase to $23.63 after 3 years of employment.
Primary functions of the job are to provide care, custody, safety, security and supervision for prisoners and processing intakes and releases at the Antrim County Jail. Employees work as part of a team and are responsible for ensuring that the team meets its objective.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (may include but not limited to the following)
- Processing inmates in and out of the facility, including obtaining fingerprints and mug shots, gathering medical information, placing inmates in cells, checking database for outstanding warrants, logging charges into the computer, pulling warrants, and/or performing other related activities.
- Administers housing procedures, which includes: performing head counts; compiling meal counts; performing inmate orientations; collection and issuing clothing; administering testing; distributing medications; issuing food; passing out razors; distributing mail; dissemination of commissary orders; and, performing other related activities.
- Performs facility controls, which involves logging activities into a computer, monitoring high‐risk inmates, monitoring camera systems, logging individuals entering and leaving the facility, review reports, and performing other related activities.
- Patrols facilities and monitors inmates, ensuring compliance with the jail rules and maintaining an orderly facility.
- Conducts thorough searches of inmates and cells.
Education, Formal Training. And Experience (minimum requirements)
- Must pass the Michigans local corrections officers state exam through Empco.
- Must pass the states physical abilities course.
Certifications, Licenses (minimum requirements)
- Within one year of employment Corrections Deputy must take and pass the local corrections academy.
- Possess and maintain a valid Michigans Driver’s License and must maintain eligibility to drive as per the County’s Vehicle policy.