Salary: $ 19.58 per hour.
Open until Filled
This is a full time position that works in a 24-hour, adult detention facility. Work assignments are 12 hour shifts 6am to 6pm or 6pm to 6am with every other FRI/SAT/SUN off, working 7 out of 14 days. Environment might be uncomfortable and involve a significant chance of incurring injury. Assignments involve substantial face-to-face contact with inmates.
- A Corrections Deputy uses independent judgment in making decisions requiring interpretation and application of departmental guidelines to specific situations.
- Ability to observe inmates’ activities to detect unusual or prohibited behavior, which might be a threat to the security of the facility or the safety of others.
- Respond quickly to return phone calls from this office when off duty. Ability to obtain accurate data, prepare records and communicate effectively.
- A Corrections Deputy prepares written reports after appropriately responding to critical incidents such as assaults on employees or inmates and threats to the security of the facility.
- Accurately counts inmates under their supervision several times each shift.
- You will conduct thorough searches of inmates and their housing areas.
- Monitor feeding, recreational activities, inmate visits and supervise inmate workers.
- Ensure that security systems, firefighting equipment and other equipment in the facility are in operating condition.
- You must operate computerized equipment such as booking systems, cameras, door controls and intercom system.
- Must be proficient in the use and carry of department firearms, tasers and pepper spray and handcuffing.
- Candidates must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Must have high school diploma or GED.
- Completion of 160 MSCTC Academy preferred but not mandatory at time of hire.
- Must possess a valid Michigan driver’s license.
- Must have the ability to pass a medical exam, drug screen and psychological evaluation.
- Must be willing to submit to a thorough background investigation designed to assess the applicant’s suitability for employment as a Corrections Deputy.
- Ability to complete first aid certification.
- Knowledge of security procedures and techniques.