Industry: Protective Service
Occupational Category: Law Enforcement
Work Schedule is Full Time – Permanent
Closes: Monday 3/19/2018
Salary Range: $40,511.00 to $53,702.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GL-0007-05/06
Promotion Potential: 07
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: THIS IS A DELEGATED EXAMINING ANNOUNCEMENT OPEN TO ALL U.S. CITIZENS.
A 17% recruitment incentive will be paid to selectee(s) at USP Atwater, FCI Herlong and FCI Mendota who meet the criteria for recruitment bonuses.
A 15% recruitment incentive will be paid to selectee(s) at FCI Dublin and FCC Victorville who meet the criteria for recruitment bonuses.
Upon completion of the recruitment service agreement, retention incentives may be initiated.
Control Number: 466179200
Job Announcement Number: BOP-N-2017-0012
Why work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons?
You can have a meaningful career with an agency that truly values a diverse workforce. In our agency, you’ll find a diverse workforce employed from entry level jobs to senior management positions. We protect public safety by ensuring that federal offenders serve their sentences of imprisonment in facilities that are safe, humane, cost efficient, appropriately secure, and provides reentry programming to ensure their successful return to the community. Our employees at federal correctional facilities are “correctional workers first” and perform correctional work regardless of their specific occupation.
Our long-standing culture of being a close-knit family sets us apart from other agencies – at the BOP you don’t just get to know your co-workers, you make life long friends.
We have many facilities located throughout the nation: 122 institutions, 6 regional offices, a headquarters, 2 staff training academies, and 26 residential reentry management offices.
- Provides supervision, care and correctional treatment of inmates. Incumbent is concerned with maintenance of institution security contributing to the health and welfare of the inmates and the promotion of good public relations.
- Enforces rules and regulations governing facility security, inmate accountability and inmate conduct to ensure judicial sanctions are carried out and inmates remain in custody. From time to time, may be authorized to carry firearms and to use physical force, including deadly force, to maintain control of inmates.
- During institution emergencies or other periods of heavy workload or limited staff, may be required to work long and irregular hours, unusual shifts, Sundays, holidays and unexpected overtime. Information as to operations and procedures is provided by post orders, BOP program statements, local supplements, custodial manual, internal correspondence and staff meetings. Incumbent must be flexible and have a broad knowledge base to use own initiative in the resolution of problem situations.
In accordance with 5 U.S.C. 3307, a maximum entry age of 36 has been established for initial appointment to a position in a Bureau of Prisons institution. If you are above the maximum entry age and have prior federal law enforcement coverage, you MUST submit an SF-50 to verify prior coverage.
Qualified Preference Eligible Veterans may be exempt from meeting the maximum age of 37. Please refer to the Required Documents Section for the appropriate documentation to submit to validate veteran eligibility.
- Occasional Travel
- Training may be required for training and/or work related issues.
Relocation Authorized: No
- U. S. Citizenship is Required.
- See Special Conditions of Employment Section.
- Selective Service Requirement.