Under direction, performs a number of activities related to the supervision of inmates in a detention facility; performs related duties as required.
- Processes prisoners admitted to and discharged or transferred from facilities; receives and maintains the personal property of inmates; issues clothing and supplies to new inmates; returns or sends personal property to inmates on discharge.
- Assist in getting inmates ready for transport; may be assigned to assist sworn law enforcement officers in the transporting of prisoners; escorts civilian visitors and staff through institutional facility; provides security service for nurses, physicians, counsel and others in their contact with prisoners.
- Supervises the security and conduct of inmates in cells, during group meetings, meals, bathing, at recreation, during visitations and on work and other assignments; searches inmates for contraband, weapons or narcotics; inspects quarters of inmates for contraband, sanitary conditions and orderliness; restraints violent or disturbed prisoners and arrestees brought into the pre-sentenced facility under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Promotes acceptable attitudes and behavior of inmates to assist them in adjusting to a confinement setting; confers with assigned supervisor regarding behavioral and other problems of inmates.
- Processes arrestees; takes fingerprints and photographs during the booking process; receives bail and issues court appearance dates; computes time and release dates for sentenced inmates; writes incident and work production reports; may perform other support duties including clerical, laboring and technical tasks.
- Behaviors and activities and which demonstrates possession of and competency in requisite knowledge and abilities.