9/18/2022 11:59 PM Eastern
Nature of Work
Employee is assigned to the Harford County Detention Center with primary responsibility for maintaining security and custody of the inmate population. THIS POSITION IS ENTITLED TO A $5,000 RECRUITMENT INCENTIVE UPON COMPLETION OF TRAINING ACADEMY.
Examples of Duties
- Responsible and accountable for immediate supervision, custody, care and control of inmates.
- Respond to emergency situations within the facility.
- Respond to the needs, requests, and complaints of the inmate population.
- Gather information and prepare written documentation and agency reports.
- Conduct facility security and inspections.
- Use various security devices.
- Attend roll-call and various training sessions.
- Maintain proper care and maintenance of uniforms and equipment.
- Perform all other job-related assignments as required.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- Graduation from a high school recognized by the Maryland State Board of Education or possession of a GED certificate recognized by the Maryland Board of Education.
- Valid Class D or Class C non-commercial driver’s license with no more than three (3) points and a relatively clean driving record.
- Must have no criminal convictions on record.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to interact effectively with inmates, the public, and criminal justice agencies.
- Ability to maintain composure and demonstrate appropriate restraint in stressful and dangerous situations while maintaining a professional demeanor.
- Ability to adapt to changes in working conditions.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with co-workers and supervisors.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to read and follow directions both in written and oral form.
- Must be 18 years of age or older and U.S. citizen with 10 years of verifiable US residency.
- Must pass entrance level exam with or without reasonable accommodation (min. score 70%).
- Must pass comprehensive background investigation and criminal record check; medical exam and drug/alcohol screening; polygraph exam; and psychological screening.
- Must provide handwriting sample for review.
- Must appear before and receive a favorable recommendation from Oral Interview Board.
- Visible tattoos are permitted if they are not offensive, indecent, extremist, racist or sexist. No visible tattoos will be permitted on the face or head.
- Must attend and successfully complete a 12 week MPCTC Entrance Level Correctional Academy.
- Must possess a history and exhibit the characteristics of honesty, reliability, integrity, and interpersonal skills. Any criminal conviction(s) and/or arrest(s) may be grounds for disqualification.