Community Service Officer
This position is responsible to perform a variety of field –work in support of basic police operation and functions.
$21.46 – $23.90 Hourly
• Performs shift work in a rotation of days, evenings, and nights, including weekends and holidays.
• Performs a variety of routine technical, administrative work in support of law enforcement activities.
• Works under the close supervision of the shift Officer in Charge.
• Operates a motor vehicle to assist in carrying out the business of the department and the City.
• Performs front desk duties, including but not limited to receiving visitors to the Police Department, directing persons to the appropriate office, answering and directing phone calls, relaying messages to field police personnel via radio.
• Conduct Vehicle Identification Number verifications pursuant to Department of Motor Vehicles requirements.
• Enforce Parking regulations and towing of vehicles.
• Enforce animal regulations.
• Assists certified patrol officers in performing traffic control, such as accident scene traffic control, special events control, and other similar situations at the direction of the Officer in Charge.
• Assists officers in requesting and ensuring vehicle tows are completed at accident scenes and other arrest situation where vehicle is involved.
• Writes reports on certain incidents such as lost or stolen property, found or recovered bicycles, or any other non-arrest type reports or events that require investigation.
• High School diploma or equivalent.
• Must be eighteen (18) years of age.
• Must successfully pass written examinations, oral board interview and background check conducted by the department.
• Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
• Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
• Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
• After acceptance of conditional offer of employment, applicant must pass physical examination by the Medical Board
• Working knowledge of standard office equipment and Microsoft Office applications.
• Ability to work independently, and manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
• Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written formats.
• Ability to apply tact and discretion in working with the public.
• Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective employee and public relations.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver's license.