College Police Officer
Under the administration of the Chief Safety Officer and supervision of an assigned Sergeant, patrol the campuses of the Southwestern Community College District to provide for the safety and security of all persons; ensure enforcement of California’s Penal and Vehicle Codes, and all other applicable statues, codes, District policies and directives.
- Patrol on- and off- campus sites, including but not limited to buildings, classrooms, restrooms, and parking lots by foot, cart, or vehicle in order to maintain security and order; inspect, identify, document, and follow-up on unusual conditions, potential hazards, and security risks; report presence of unauthorized persons on grounds or in District buildings; act upon observations made.
- Investigate reports of criminal activity; interview and take appropriate action to assist crime victims; interview witnesses; collect physical evidence; photograph crime scenes and evidence.
- Record and document incidents in patrol log; prepare reports related to observed violations including use-of-force reports, arrest reports, criminal citations, notices to appear, warrantless arrest reports, and property evidence reports.
- Respond to calls for service; provide security escort for students, staff or visitors as needed; assist persons with vehicles in parking lot.
- Patrol campus parking lots and streets; check for vehicle permits and improper parking; conduct traffic stops; issue citations for non-compliance with parking regulations; ensure the safe movement of vehicles in the parking areas; ensure parking lots and roadway are clearly marked.
- Answer telephones at station; respond to inquiries and provide information to visitors, students and staff.
- Participate in crime prevention work; prepare and deliver presentations on campus safety to students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Appear in court as a witness or as arresting officer as required.
Education & Experience:
Any combination equivalent to: Graduation from high school
Currently enrolled in a California POST Basic Academy (verification of enrollment required) with at least 50% completion of total courses of instruction for academy curriculum, including academic and fitness that meets or exceed POST standards.
POST Basic Academy must be completed within six months of employment.
Academy Graduate: Completion of a CA POST approved academy; OR possession of a current California POST Academy certificate (copy of certificate required) dated within 3 years; OR POST re-certification dated within the last three years
Lateral Entry: Currently employed as a full time paid sworn peace officer in the State of CA with a law enforcement agency with at least one-year of continuous full-time law enforcement experience at the time of application.