Chief of Police
Salary: $140,000 – $150,000 (DQ) annually.
Open Until Filled
The Municipality of Norristown, an urban community with a diverse population of approximately 35,000, is seeking a strong effective Chief of Police to lead a department of 68 police officers who engages with the department’s staff and able to collaborate with others within and outside of the Department and to enthusiastically embrace challenges and opportunities to innovate and improve. The successful candidate must be able to effectively navigate both the short and long term to drive the Department forward. The Chief must be a highly skilled developer of talent who uses that talent effectively to ensure the Department meets the goals and objectives for the future as et by City leadership. The Chief must be comfortable making decisions and able to skillfully drive those decisions forward. The successful candidate must be able to build the trust and confidence of all segments of the community. The Chief must be able to use his/her interpersonal skills to develop and maintain effective relationships and to use those relationships to create critical communication pathways throughout the Department and the community it serves.
- The Chief will need to take an active role in setting the tone and vision for the Department aligned with the needs of the City.
- The Chief must be forward thinking, look beyond the status quo, envision what will be effective for the future, and create a path to get there.
- This person must be able to reach beyond the Police Department and collaborate across agencies to push forward public safety; recognizing that the goal of public safety is an interest of all communities not just of the Police Department.
- The Chief must ensure that their strategic perspective translates into day-to-day actions (e.g., policies, procedures, attitudes, and comportment) including open communication and accountability at all levels.
- The Chief will demonstrate through word and deed the leadership behaviors of valuing diversity of thought and inclusion of differing opinions in consideration of the strategic vision.
- The Chief must balance the needs of different constituencies within the City to ensure effective police services are provided to all.
- The Chief must lead by example and instill confidence in stakeholders and employees regarding the overall tone and direction of the Department, ensuring that the Department is prepared to meet the needs of the future.
The successful candidate must have a 4-year degree in Police Science, Criminal Justice, Public Administration, Psychology, Sociology or other related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience. The candidate must have Pennsylvania certification as a Police Officer or be able to obtain such certification within 90 days of hire. Must possess a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license or be eligible to obtain one and pass a comprehensive background investigation. A relevant Master’s degree is preferred and a record of continuing career education and development that includes graduation from the FBI Academy or similar executive level law enforcement training.
The successful candidate will have at least 5 years of experience as a Police Chief in a similar-sized or larger jurisdiction or as a high – level commander/administrator and show progressive supervisory/management experience with a range of operational and administrative experience. Experience should include leadership responsibility in various management functions such as HR, legal, discipline, hiring, and budget. Previous experience working within a City Manager/Council/Mayor form of government is preferred.