CHIEF OF POLICE
The Chief of Police reports directly to the City Manager and is the City’s chief law enforcement officer. The Chief of Police is responsible for public safety and security, serving as the lead for public response to citywide safety emergencies and large public events, establishing and maintaining a stable organizational environment, ensuring the effective and efficient utilization of personnel, financial and material resources and providing police services that are responsive to the changing needs and conditions within the City of Long Beach. The Chief will work closely with the Office of Constitutional Policing to ensure the Department meets community public safety concerns through a forward-looking evaluation of current policies, procedures, and training with a focus on a transformative culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Significant issues identified in the current budget include crime reduction, gang-related violence, homeland security and resource optimization. As the Department Director, the Chief must strategically provide efficient police services and adhere to the increasing demands for efficient utilization of police resources. This requires creative utilization of budgetary allocations to respond to community needs, crime and advancing technology.
$242,000.00 – $270,000.00 Annually
The next Chief of Police for the Department must be both an inspirational leader and astute manager. Must have considerable experience and track record in working with diverse communities, and expertise in developing crime reduction strategies. Must be capable of effectively inspiring, motivating and supporting a police force and employees, and be skilled at building trust with the broader community. The ideal candidate must have experience in financial management, technology, recruitment, deployment, labor relations and creating a work environment that encourages problem solving and innovation. They will guide the Department towards building greater trust and strengthening relationships through increased responsiveness, transparency, and accountability. They must have the ability evaluate trends, data, and community input and lead change as necessary. Must be abreast of emerging national, regional and local trends, issues, and challenges facing the City’s public safety, and proactive in effectively planning for and responding to these issues and challenges. They will promote positive, inclusive, culturally competent policies, programs, systems, and services that improve outcomes for all Long Beach community members and set professional standards that will make the Department a national model for effective and responsible policing by supporting the 21st Century Policing Model. The ideal candidate will be a strong manager who will lead by example, mentor and motivate those under their command. They will be a strategic thinker, well organized, a creative problem solver, enthusiastic and proactive with a customer service orientation. This person will also be confident, persuasive, decisive and an effective communicator, who is accessible, people-oriented and will feel comfortable taking an active and visible role in the community. This person will be open to new ideas and a team player.
• Status as a current or former employee of the Long Beach Police Department with the rank of Commander or above, or
• Experience as a Chief of Police or Assistant/Deputy Chief of Police, with a strong preference for working experience in California.
• A Bachelor's degree in Administration of Justice, Public or Business administration, Political Science or a closely related field.
• California P.O.S.T. certified peace officer holding a P.O.S.T. Management or Executive certification.
• Possession of a valid California Driver’s License. Out of state candidates will be required to obtain a California Driver’s license upon hire.
Highly Desirable Qualifications
• A Master's degree in Administration of Justice, Public or Business Administration, Political Science or a closely related field or graduation from the P.O.S.T Command College and/or FBI National Academy is highly desirable.