Certified Special Law Enforcement Officers
Class I Special Police Officers are authorized to perform routine traffic details, spectator control and other similar duties. If authorized by township ordinance, class one officers are empowered to issues summons for disorderly persons and petty disorderly person’s offenses, violations of municipal ordinances and violations of Title 39. Class one officers are not authorized to carry a firearm.
Class II Special Officers employed by the Demarest Police Department are utilized to perform various security and traffic related duties throughout the Borough of Demarest. Class II Officers are authorized to exercise full police powers and duties similar to those of a permanent, regularly appointed full-time police officer. They may carry a firearm while engaged in the actual performance of the officer’s official duties and when specifically authorized by the Chief of Police.
- Must be legally permitted to work in the United States;
- Must be a resident of the State of New Jersey;
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Must possess and maintain a valid New Jersey driver’s license;
- Must be able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently, and have a high school diploma or its equivalent;
- Must be sound in body and of good health and be able to perform the physical functions of the duties assigned;
- Must be of good moral character and shall not have been convicted of any crime or offense involving moral turpitude (dishonesty) or a crime or offense that would render him/her unfit for duty;
- Must successfully undergo psychological testing, drug testing, and medical examination.