Certified Police Officer
Salary: $46,562.88 – $68,664.96.
Provides general law enforcement services to the community to include response to emergencies, patrol, investigation of crimes , traffic enforcement, crime prevention activities and other emergency management duties
- Patrols a designated area in an emergency vehicle to ensure the security of life and property.
- Answers emergency and routine calls for service regarding law enforcement matters, enforces City, County and State laws and ordinances and requests assistance as required.
- Communicates with members of the community to solve problems and render assistance.
- Confers with and provides assistance to other City staff and departments.
- Personally participates in investigating criminal law violations occurring within the City of Holly Hill, obtains evidence, compiles information, prepares casework, files charging affidavits, and testifies in court hearings and related activities.
- Patrols City streets, parks, commercial and residential areas to preserve the peace and enforce the law, controls vehicular traffic, enforces traffic laws and ordinances, and works to prevent, detect, and investigate misdemeanors, felonies, and other criminal law violations, and otherwise serve and protect.
- Responds to emergency calls and takes appropriate law enforcement action.
- Interrogates criminal suspects, witnesses, and drivers; identifies and preserves physical evidence; arrests violators; investigates and renders assistance at the scene of motor vehicle crashes; summons emergency medical and ambulance services; takes measurements and draws diagrams of crime scenes and crashes; conducts follow-up investigations of crimes committed during an assigned shift; seeks out and questions victims, witnesses, and suspects; develops leads and tips; conducts searches.
- Prepares a variety of reports, forms, and documents, reports of investigations, incident reports, crash reports, field interview cards, vehicle tow sheets, evidence reports, uniform traffic citations, etc.
- Assists citizens with matters such as locked or stalled vehicles, crime prevention, drug resistance, traffic safety, directions, neighborhood disputes, etc.
- Coordinates and supervises training, assignment, and professional development of subordinate officers.
- Coordinates activities with supervisors or other City departments, exchanges information with officers in other law enforcement agencies, and obtains advice from the Command Staff regarding cases, policies, and procedures.
- Required to perform rotating and static shift work including days, evenings, and nights, including weekends and holidays; and be available for call-back or emergency mobilization. May be required to work flexible schedules or various and changing hours.
- Operates a motor vehicle to assist in carrying out the official business of the department.
- Attendance at work and satisfactory performance are essential functions of this position.
- Using excellent customer service skills establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other employees, officials, and members of the general public.
- High school diploma or equivalent; and completion of the Florida CJSTC Basic Law Enforcement Training with a valid certificate; and successfully pass an extensive pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, physical/psychological evaluation, polygraph examination, physical agility assessment, and other selection and evaluation examinations.
- Successful completion of the department’s Field Training and Evaluation Program.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain by date of hire, a valid Florida Driver’s License without record of suspension or revocation.
- Must possess the ability to operate an emergency vehicle, police radio, handgun/shotgun/rifle and other weapons as required; baton, handcuffs, chemical agents, and other modern law enforcement equipment.
- Extensive use of computers for dispatching, reporting and communicating is required.
- The employee is required to perform rotating and static shift work including days, evenings, and nights, including weekends and holidays, including call-backs and emergency mobilizations.