Certified Police Officer
Are you looking for something new in your police career? Do you enjoy performing challenging and rewarding work upholding the law to help keep the community safe? Along with answering emergency calls, our Officer’s diligently patrol the area, focus on crime prevention, and build positive relationships within the community that strongly supports their efforts.
- On an assigned shift, operates a police vehicle, bicycle, or walks to observe for criminal and traffic violations;
- Looks for suspicious activities and checks on suspicious persons;
- Checks on disturbance of law and order and arrests suspects who violate the law;
- Writes and reports incidents;
- Responds to radio dispatches and answers calls and complaints;
- Serves warrants and testifies in court;
- Reports unsafe conditions existing in street or other public facilities;
- Assists in criminal investigations along with presenting evidence in court;
- Assists in interviewing victims and witnesses, prepares property and evidence duties, records and issues evidence in court cases;
- Maintains a physical presence at events to prevent behavioral problems; and
- Assists in preparing detailed reports.
- Candidates interested in this role must have any combination of education and experience equivalent to a High School diploma or General Education Degree (GED), be certified by the State, certify in the operation of certain equipment as required by the justice system.
- Possess a valid appropriate driver’s license, and live or be willing to move within a 50 mile radius of Winchester.
- Other qualifications include the ability to read laws and policies, write incident reports and other documents using proper grammar, punctuation and spelling, and the ability to speak effectively using correct English.
- Some knowledge of police methods, practices and procedures, the geography of the City and locations of important landmarks/buildings.
- Successful candidates must also have the ability to pass an annual physical examination and physical ability assessment.