Certified Police Officer
The Galesburg Police Department is recruiting interested candidates to apply for the position of Certified Police Officer for the purpose of establishing an eligibility list for the Galesburg Police Department. This is an overtime-eligible, bargaining unit position with a starting rate of $28.67 per hour, plus excellent fringe benefits with up to a $10,000 sign-on bonus and if applicable a stipend of up to $1,000 for moving expenses.
Police Patrol Officers are responsible for maintaining civil order through the application of law enforcement. General duties relate to the preservation of life and property, as well as suppression and prevention of crime through the enforcement of laws and ordinances. Incumbents operate in the areas of police patrol, traffic control, and preliminary investigative work, at all times operating within the framework of departmental rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Responds to all requests for police services.
- Provides appropriate response to emergency and/or non-emergency events. Must have the ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency and hostile situations.
- Communicates effectively through strong written and verbal skills to co-workers, superiors and the general public.
- Enforces laws and ordinances regulating motor vehicle traffic.
- Conducts preliminary and follow-up investigations of crime and accident scenes.
- Collects information and evidence, interviews involved parties, detains and/or apprehends suspects.
- Provides supportive court testimony as required.
- Exhibits good discretionary judgment.
- Produces written reports detailing investigative and/or police services provided.
- Adheres to departmental policy and procedure.
Must meet the following requirements of the City of Galesburg Fire and Police Commission:
CERTIFICATION: Applicants must be certified either for full or part time status as a Police Officer by the State of Illinois, or comparable training from another state.
AGE: Be at least twenty-one years of age.
EXPERIENCE: Be employed as a police officer with a regular police department in any municipal, county, university or state law enforcement agency.
DRIVER’S LICENSE: Applicants must possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
MORAL CHARACTER: Be of good moral character as confirmed by a complete and thorough background investigation.
CITIZENSHIP: Applicants must be a U. S. Citizen.