Campus Police Officer
This is a responsible safety and security position reporting to the Chief of Police / Director of Public Safety, involving considerable independent judgment.
The Department of Public Safety is an accredited police agency, accredited by the Pennsylvania Chiefs of Police, which exemplifies the Community Oriented Police Model, seeking foremost to prevent crime through a broad spectrum of interactions and programs within our Duquesne University community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Preserves the peace and resolves any conflicts within the University area.
- Conducts vehicular, foot, and bike patrols of University property and buildings.
- Takes all necessary and/or appropriate measures to reduce the opportunity for criminal activity.
- Responds promptly and professionally to calls for service.
- Engages in activities that foster positive relations in day to day interactions with University community.
- Receives and responds to various emergency calls (medical emergencies, fires, alarms, accidents, criminal acts, etc.) and determines proper response procedures providing care as a first responder in medical emergencies and mental health crisis.
- Conducts preliminary investigations, submits necessary reports via the Automated Records Management System (ARMS), reacts to criminal activity and makes arrests as appropriate by enforcing all applicable state and local laws.
- Completed MPOETC certification from an accredited police academy upon application.
- Ability to meet legal and psychological standards for certification under PA Act 120.
- No criminal history of conviction, plea agreement or nollo contrendre plea.
- Valid PA driver’s license with good driving history.
- Pennsylvania State residency or ability to obtain it before the oath of office is administered is also required.
- United States citizenship.
- Minimum age of 21 years