Campus Police Officer
This is a sworn Campus Police Officer full time position. This position may work weekends and holidays. Employees in this position may work evenings and/or overnight. Employees may be required to work special details and overtime. This is an entry level, sworn campus police position.
Officers are required to participate in crime prevention and community-oriented public safety programming. As part of an assigned team, Campus Police Officers provide campus safety, security, and law enforcement services to the University community.
The successful candidate must project a positive and professional appearance and demeanor at all times, including wearing a proper uniform or approved attire and being neat and well-groomed.
Officers provide a wide range of services including both traditional and non-traditional police services. Officers enforce University regulations, local ordinances, and state laws. Officers are a first responder to incidents, accidents, and other emergency situations and are responsible for conducting initial and follow-up investigations into significant and criminal incidents. Officer will work under the direction of the on-duty lead officer, the on-duty supervisor and/or the Director or Assistant Director of Campus Police/Safety.
- Must have completed an accredited Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy
- Must be able to obtain a commission through the Memphis Police Department.
- High School diploma or equivalent; some college education preferred
- Must possess valid driver’s license.
- Must have never been convicted of a felony or domestic violence.
- Successfully complete various fitness for duty assessments, including a comprehensive background investigation, a psychological evaluation, and a medical examination.
At least two years of work and/or life experience directly relating to a minimum of two of the following areas:
- Community service/involvement
- Interviewing, public speaking, and conflict resolution
- Problem solving, using creative methods to resolve issues
- Multi-Cultural work and life-experiences