Campus Police Officer
Performs a wide variety of law enforcement functions, including but not limited to: campus patrol and security, crime prevention, criminal investigation, community service and assistance, and other law enforcement related duties.
• Utilizes relationship based, community building, proactive policing techniques to ensure human safety and the security of campus property.
• Utilizes sound professional judgement and de-escalation training to resolve various law enforcement scenarios within a diverse community.
• Respond to emergency situations providing basic first aid, liaison with other police or emergency agency personnel, as appropriate.
• Apprehends and/or identifies crime suspects; arrests, cites, and books crime suspects per North Carolina General Statutes and all other applicable laws and codes; questions and advises suspects of constitutional rights
• Prepare written reports, collect evidence, and gather victim/witness statements of criminal acts or violations of College policy.
• Maintains high visibility patrolling campus property on foot and by vehicle to identify hazardous conditions, take corrective measures to reduce or eliminate hazards to persons or college property.
• Monitor police and fire department radio channels and emergency phone lines and respond to calls for service in a timely manner.
• Perform traffic control duties and motorist assistance.
• Leads and participates in crime prevention and campus safety training programs as required.
• Assists with training of newly hired Campus Police Officers and College Security Officers.
• Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience
- Current law enforcement certification, or meet the standards required for employment and certification as a law enforcement officer in North Carolina, including completion of Basic Law Enforcement Training
- Clear criminal background check
- Valid NC driver’s license and clear driving record
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Computer skills (Microsoft Word/Excel)
- Ability to regularly work various hours and/or overtime
Preferred Education and Experience
- Post-secondary degree in criminal justice or related field
- Prior law enforcement experience
- CPR, First-Aid, and/or AED certifications
- Completion of a formal diversity and inclusion training program