Campus Police Officer
Department Christian Brothers University Campus Safety
Type: Full-time Non-Exempt
About Christian Brothers University:
CBU is committed to creating and maintaining a rigorous and enriching learning experience for our students by providing them the best instruction and support by a superior faculty and staff. CBU encourages opportunities to celebrate diversity in an environment that prepares our students to be global citizens. CBU is an attractive and safe campus environment, and it is quite possibly one of the friendliest campuses anywhere.
If you would like to contribute to these hallmarks of a CBU education, please consider applying for our faculty or staff vacancies through these current employment opportunities:
Position: Campus Police Officer
Location: Department of Campus Police and Safety
Reports to: Director, Assistant Director, or On Duty Supervisor or Senior Campus Police Officer
This is a sworn Campus Police Officer Position:
Employees of this position are on a full-time status and will work weekends and holidays. Employees in this position may work evenings and/or overnight. Employees may be required to work special details and overtime is mandatory. This is an entry level, sworn campus police position.
- As part of an assigned team, Campus Police Officers provide campus safety, security, and law enforcement services to the University community.
- The individual provides a wide range of services including both traditional and non-traditional police services.
- Officers are required to participate in crime prevention and community-oriented public safety programming.
- The successful candidate must project a positive and professional appearance and demeanor at all times, including wearing a proper uniform or approved attire and being neat and well-groomed.
- Individuals enforce University regulations, local ordinances, and state laws.
- The individual is a first responder to incidents, accidents, and other emergency situations and is responsible for conducting initial and follow-up investigations into significant and criminal incidents.
- The individual will work under the direction of the on-duty lead officer, the on-duty supervisor and/or the Director or Assistant Director of Campus Police/Safety.
- Individuals hired for this position may work in a non-sworn capacity while awaiting approval for commissioning from the City of Memphis and the Tennessee Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission.
- Once the individual receives approval from both agencies and gains certification, his/her pay grade and pay will be adjusted to that of a certified Campus Police Officer.
- Individuals hired for this position who have not completed a Basic Police Academy will be required to work as a Campus Safety Officer (Security Officer/Non-Sworn) at the respective rate of pay (as noted above) until completion of a basic police course.
- High School diploma or equivalent; some college education preferred
- Must possess valid driver's license.
- Must have never been convicted of a felony or domestic violence.
- Successfully complete various fitness for duty assessments, including a comprehensive background investigation, a psychological evaluation, and a medical examination.
- Must be able to obtain a commission through the Memphis Police Department.
- Must have completed an accredited Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy
- Must be able to work nights, holidays and weekends work schedules.
- Preferred experience: At least two years of work and/or life experience directly relating to a minimum of two of the following areas:
- Community service/involvement
- Interviewing, public speaking, and conflict resolution
- Problem solving, using creative methods to resolve issues
- Multi-Cultural work and life-experiences