Campus Police Officer
Open until filled
The Campus Police Officer provides for the safety and security of students, staff, faculty, volunteers and patrons of Topeka Public Schools.
- Identify and eliminating potential hazards and/or opportunities for crime and criminal activity.
- Work to reduce and/or eliminate truancy in Topeka Public Schools.
- Conduct aggressive and proactive police patrol to deter and detect crime and/or manmade or natural safety hazards.
- Provide assistance to school administrators dealing with disruptions to the school or school environment.
- Establish crime prevention, emergency response and safety programs designed to educate the community and school employees in the event of a criminal act or school emergency.
- Complete police reports to document illegal or inappropriate activity on school properties or adjacent property.
- Enforce District policy and procedure, city ordinances and the laws of the State of Kansas.
- Operate District equipment to include alarm systems, surveillance equipment and patrol units when necessary.
- Subdue offenders and criminals by using the minimum amount of force needed to protect he officer and other persons.
- High school diploma or equivalency required.
- Must be 21 years of age and a U.S. citizen.
- Able to be certified as a police officer under Kansas law.
- Knowledge of Kansas Criminal and Traffic Code, State Statutes and County Ordinances, Criminal Procedures, Juvenile Law and court proceedings.
- Capable of meeting physical and psychological needs of the position.
- Possess exemplary written and verbal communication skills.
- Capable of thinking quickly and have creative problem-solving skills.
- Capable of interaction with a diverse, highly-educated population.
- Flexible, service-oriented objective outlook and commitment to customer service.
- KLETC certified.
- Previous law enforcement/security experience with educational, healthcare, or government protective service.
- Some college education.