Campus Police Cadet
Salary: $42,242.00 Annually.
The primary function of a Police Cadet is to attend and satisfactorily complete the Tyler Junior College Law Enforcement Academy or an equivalent training academy within the State of Texas approved for enrollment by the Chief of Police, qualifying for commissioning as a peace officer for the Tyler Junior College District.
- Attends classes and maintains comprehensive notebooks and/or the e-tablet equivalent.
- Prepares research papers.
- Completes homework assignments.
- Necessary strength and agility to subdue and restrain persons resisting arrest including the proper use of handcuffs, use of force options and other restraining devices.
- Adequate hand, arm and upper body strength and ability to operate a handgun and/or shoulder weapon with either hand and qualify with same on a prescribed course.
- Necessary agility and endurance to pursue violators on foot.
- Ability to scale a reasonable barrier or obstruction while in foot pursuit of violators, to include running up and down flights of stairs.
- Ability to remove an injured or unconscious person of reasonable size from an area of danger.
- Ability to safely operate an automobile without the use of any specialized equipment peculiar only to the operator while utilizing the police radio and emergency equipment such as siren and emergency light.
- Actively participates in classroom discussions and group projects.
- Complies with established rules and regulations governing the Tyler Junior College Law Enforcement Academy or approved academy.
- Complies with assignments and instructions given by the Chief of Police of the Tyler Junior College Police Department and any members of the Academy staff or guest instructors.
- Complies with policies of respective component institutions relating to his or her status and attendance at the Academy.
- Adheres to The Tyler Junior College Police Department Code of Conduct and to the Rules and Regulations promulgated by the Board of Trustees of the Tyler Junior College District.
- Performs related duties as required.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Must meet specific prerequisites established by the Chief of Police, the Board of Trustees and the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement concerning age requirements and physical, mental, and educational standards. A copy of these prerequisites is available for review at the police department.
- Must successfully complete the Tyler Junior College Police Department physical agility test as described in Chief of Police/ Tyler Junior College Police Department policy 403, “Physical Agility Test”.
- Must possess a current Texas driver’s license.
- Must meet the qualifications to attend a Basic Peace Officer Academy and take the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Licensing exam.
- Specific job requirements or physical location of some positions allocated to this classification may render the position security sensitive, and thereby subject to the provisions of Section 51.215, Texas Education Code.