Airport Police Officer
Under general supervision, to perform a variety of police and security duties involved in maintaining the general safety and welfare of persons using the Billings Logan International Airport; and to ensure compliance with applicable City, FAA, Federal, and State laws.
Scope of Responsibility:
Incumbents have a high degree of understanding of department or functional operations and are able to work with considerable initiative. Working under limited supervision, incumbents use established precedent to make non-routine decisions. Work product has noticeable impact on departmental operations with moderate impact on the overall organization. Incumbents have frequent interaction with staff, co-workers and key customers to provide detailed procedures and respond to technical questions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Airport Police Operations
- Perform routine crime prevention and detection police work in the airport terminal and airfield; patrol parking lots, terminals, and other areas of the airport; check, lock, and unlock all access gates; ensure proper gate operation in preparation for an emergency; escort emergency vehicles and personnel to the appropriate site; patrol fences and gates for potential security violations.
- Meet all incoming and outbound flights; monitor passenger activity to and from planes and through security systems; assist in checking baggage and passengers for weapons or other contraband.
- Respond to ETD areas when explosives are detected on luggage; check and clear luggage/passengers; respond to x-ray machines when weapons or contraband are detected; take enforcement as required; log evidence and secure lost/found items.
- Observe airport activities to identify suspicious acts or persons; enforce all FAA, Federal, State, City, and airport laws, rules and regulations; detain, question, and arrest suspects; issue citations and tickets; maintain a working knowledge of laws and their proper application regarding federal aviation; maintain knowledge of federally administered security devices.
- Guard commercial, private, government, and Presidential aircraft while on the ground during scheduled or unscheduled flights.
- Assist in field emergencies including aircraft incidents and accidents, skyjackings, bomb threats, major disasters, and major fires; respond to medical emergency calls in terminal, on aircraft, or in the field; administer first aid as necessary.
- In accordance with FAR 1542, check alarm system, gates, and fencing in and around airport for needed repairs; ensure that buildings are secured properly; check for burglary and vandalism; preserve and process crime scenes.
- Initiate initial police procedures of crime scenes including photographing, lifting fingerprints, and protecting crime scenes; interviewing suspects, victims, processing evidence; preparation for testimony in court.
Qualifications and Skills
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- High school diploma or GED
- Two (2) or more years of combined education and experience or equivalent in law enforcement
- Must be P.O.S.T. certified by a State Law Enforcement Academy and have a Law Enforcement Officer Basic Course certification
- Must have a current Montana driver’s license or the ability to obtain within thirty (30) days of employment
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test, a Federal fingerprint based criminal background check, and a driving records check
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience with city government and knowledge of police and security operations, city airport operations, and the general aviation industry