Purpose of Job
The purpose of this job is to perform duties as communications terminal operator monitoring calls for, and soliciting assistance from, Fire/EMS, Police, and Sheriffs departments. Responsibilities include providing officers in the field with coded criminal and other vital information via two-way radio.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Answers incoming radio and telephone calls; dispatches field personnel to the scene or refers calls to the appropriate agency or utility.
- Maintains accurate location of Officers, Fire, and EMS Apparatus.
- Directs and informs Officers of criminal activities, stolen vehicles, emergency situations, etc.
- Maintains the 911 emergency system; prioritizes calls according to established criteria.
- Utilizes maps and charts to maintain accurate locations and direct field personnel to emergency scenes.
- Is capable of keyboarding all calls/complaints into the CAD system, as it is being reported, without unreasonable delay.
- Assists and interacts with other sheriff/police/fire/rescue agencies in the area to coordinate efforts as required.
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
High School diploma (or GED); 2 years experience with the department or any equivalent combination of education, specialized training, and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position. Must be certified in all computer procedures of NCIC, NLETS, and TIES. Must complete a Basic Telecommunicator Course and meet all state requirements for employment and certification from Emergency Communications Board.