911 Communication Officer
Salary: $1,762.40 – $2,585.60 Biweekly.
This position provides support services for community members, Police, Fire, and EMS. Dispatcher trainees will learn emergency and non-emergency call-taking, radio dispatching, and documentation functions using Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD). Duties include screening and prioritizing calls; documenting all phone traffic received in computer-aided dispatch system; and performing a variety of other duties as assigned, or as needed in response to emergency situations. The position reports to a 911 shift supervisor, and does not supervise other county personnel.
- The position requires knowledge of standardized emergency and non-emergency dispatch rules, procedures, and operations.
- The position requires the ability to speak English clearly verbally.
- Communicate at a rapid speech rate under stressful, confused and/or hectic circumstances; record names and numbers rapidly and accurately and to quickly recall details and essential information.
- Consistently think clearly and respond quickly in a wide variety of emergency situations, connecting events otherwise potentially unrelated, received from multiple sources and relaying information to recipients in need of the information; to work as a team member; and to establish and maintain good working relationships.
- The required knowledge, skills, and abilities are typically acquired through a combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school, completion of dispatch training at the Law Enforcement Academy, plus additional training courses in domestic violence, emergency medical dispatch, and radio operation, in addition to extensive on-the-job training.
- NAED Emergency Medical and Fire Dispatch certification is required and training will be provided upon completion of call-taker training.
- Must possess a valid driver’s licenseissued by the state of Montana, or obtain a Montana driver’s license within the 1st 6-months of employment, and be insurable under the County’s liability policies.