A police officer position is an entry-level position unless it is advertised otherwise. As an entry level job there is no experience required. Someone with police experience may have an advantage during the oral board interview as they can answer situational questions based on real life experiences. One of the risks in hiring new officers is that the new hire who has no experience will decide that being a police officer is not right for them. As they have no experience they were not able to make this determination until after they started on the job. A police officer with experience already knows what they are getting into.
Preparing for a Law Enforcement Career
Finding Law Enforcement Work
- What is a K-9 Unit and How to Become a Police Dog Handler
- How Much Does a Law Enforcement Officer Make (incl. Employer Comparison Data)?
- 15 Practical Tips on How to Pass the Police Written Exam in 2017
- Police Officer Hiring Process and Common Application Steps
- What is the Police Written Exam and How to Prepare for It?