The minimum educational requirements are determined by each state. Then, each department has the option of requiring higher education requirements. Some states only require a high school degree. Other states require 60 college credits or an associates’ degree. A four-year degree is required by some states. For federal investigative positions, generally a four-year degree is required.
Preparing for a Law Enforcement Career
Finding Law Enforcement Work
- What is a K-9 Unit and How to Become a Police Dog Handler
- How Much Does a Law Enforcement Officer Make (incl. Employer Comparison Data)?
- 15 Practical Tips on How to Pass the Police Written Exam in 2017
- Police Officer Hiring Process and Common Application Steps
- What is the Police Written Exam and How to Prepare for It?