The Denver Police Department’s Victim Assistance Unit (VAU) is seeking to fill a Victim Specialist position. This position will fill a day shift opening, however, will require after hour evening and night coverage during the week and weekends and some holidays on a rotating basis and is considered an essential employee position.
The Victim Assistance Unit is part of the Crisis Services Bureau of the Denver Police Department. Our VAU has been in existence for over 33 years and is one of the most extensive in the Nation. We are a unique City which focuses on the importance and priority of victim services.
Position Salary Range: $21.28 – $31.92
This posting will close on Thursday, May 13,2021. Please apply as soon as possible.
· Provides on-scene crisis intervention services to victims of and witnesses to all types of crime and incidents of non-criminal stark misfortune including providing death and emergency notification.
· Performs self-initiated or police-requested outreach, within specified time of the crime occurrence, to victims of a specific crime such as domestic violence or sexual assault and to victims of stark misfortune from authorized Denver Police Department (DPD) office or off-site locations.
· Provides victim(s) and witness(s) with information about police investigations, departmental policy and procedure, and provides detectives with pertinent information.
· Identifies victim(s), witness(s) and survivor needs and makes referrals to appropriate support services.
· Educates community service and support agencies in the Unit activities and procedures.
· Provides on-going training and support throughout (DPD) related to victim rights and issues regarding victim(s) and available services.
· Provides on-call coverage for both The Victim Assistance Unit and the Pretrial Victim Services Unit.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Two years of experience providing on-scene crisis intervention services to victims of and witnesses to all types of crime.
- Experience providing system-based advocacy to victims and witnesses of crime and stark misfortune.
- Prior experience in providing community-based advocacy to victims and witness of crime and stark misfortune.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish