University Police Officer-Entry Level
Employees of this position title serve as multi-skilled professionals performing the full spectrum of law enforcement, investigation, and emergency services. The primary duty of this position is the enforcement of all applicable state and local laws; and the enforcement of university traffic rules and regulations.
- Exercises police powers under authority of Massachusetts General Law Chapter 75 Section 32A, in order to prevent, deter, and detect violations of criminal and motor vehicle laws, rules, and regulations. Ensures public safety through enforcement and education.
- Directs and controls pedestrian and motor vehicle traffic; enforces university traffic and parking rules and regulations; issues traffic citations under authority of MGL C 90 § 1c.
- Patrols university properties and adjacent geographic areas (and areas subject to the provisions of mutual aid agreements), to ensure the protection of persons and property, and to detect and deter criminal activity. Remains alert for health and safety hazards, and theft or damage to property. Takes appropriate action to mitigate and/or report hazards and damage.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be at least 21 years old at the time of appointment.
- Candidate must have completed an Associate’s degree or attained an equivalent number of credits (60) toward a Bachelor’s degree at an accredited institution of higher learning prior to the date of hire (copy of transcripts verifying 60 credit hours towards Bachelor’s degree required at application) OR must be a high school graduate or equivalent, and have four (4) years of uninterrupted military service (DD-214 Member 4 Copy required at time of application, or official proof of service if still actively serving) OR must be a high school graduate or equivalent, and have successful completion of the Reserve Intermittent Training Academy training and a minimum of one (1) year of law enforcement experience since graduating the Reserve Intermittent Training Academy
- Current valid driver’s license
- Current Massachusetts Class A License To Carry a firearm
- First Responder/CPR/AED/Narcan and Epi-pen certifications
- Must possess the physical ability to perform duties required of a police officer.