Transit Police Officer
Pay Rate: $24.000 – $37.525 per hour, based on experience.
Patrols the total transit system, including facilities, within UTA service areas. Provides a visible peace officer presence within those jurisdictions. Inspects passengers in the systems for proof of fare and provides assistance to transit patrons as necessary while always maintaining an active public safety presence. Monitors public behavior for violations of UTA ordinances and Utah law without direct supervision. Exercises considerable discretion responding to specific situations in order to protect patrons and the public. Maintains general law and order, suppresses criminal activity, makes arrests, completes case reports, and issues both civil and criminal citations. Testifies in court as needed and coordinates public safety activities with local law enforcement agencies. Assesses potential risk to public safety and recommends opportunities for loss prevention.
– High school diploma or equivalent
– Utah P.O.S.T. certified as a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) as described within the limits of state statutes, or is currently certifiable as a Utah LEO.
– Prior police or customer service experience preferred, but not required.
– Demonstrates superior interpersonal communication skills and be able to exercise discretion to assess and take appropriate steps to protect patrons and/or employees against potentially threatening situations. Officers will be required to carry a firearm and other duty equipment.
– Have a valid Utah driver’s license, with no more than 4 moving violations in the past 3 years. Cannot have any convictions of driving under the influence of alcohol, any drug, or the combined influence of any alcohol or any drug within the last 5 years.