Town of Somerville: Police Chief Employment Opportunity
Due Date: 3/24/2023 05:00 PM
A search is underway to attract a well-qualified candidate to serve as the Chief of Police in the Town of Somerville, TN. Somerville is the heart of Fayette County and serves as the County Seat for the government. The Town offers State retirement on the old TCRS system with match by the Town of Somerville. A 401K retirement plan is also available with matching funds. Excellent medical benefits for employee and family. Free vision and dental for employee. Other benefits include three weeks paid vacation, paid sick leave, annual holiday bonus, longevity based on year of service and uniform allowance.
Candidates must possess a high school diploma. Prospective candidates are preferred to have a bachelor’s degree with coursework in public administration, criminal justice, or a related field but this qualification may be weighed against experience in job related areas. Candidates will also have at least ten (10) years of progressive law enforcement experience and (5) years of experience as a commanding officer in a police organization with administrative duties. Candidates must be currently Tennessee POST certified or eligible for POST transition school.
The salary range for this position will range between 70,000 – 85,000 DOQ. Candidates should apply by close of business March 24, 2023, by submitting a resume, cover letter, and list of professional references by mail at P.O. Box 909, Somerville, TN 38068 or via email to the City Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full job description: https://somervilletn.municipalone.com/employmentview.aspx?eid=273
Police Chief Job Description
- The Police Chief is responsible for providing the citizens with protection through enforcement of the laws of the Town, State and Nation as well as the development of measures to prevent crimes. The Chief is also responsible for the planning and implementation of policies and procedures which guides the conduct of police operations. The Police Chief answers directly to the City Administrator and the Board of Mayor and Aldermen.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs a variety of complex administrative, supervisory, and professional work in planning, coordinating and directing the activities of the Police Department.
- Manage the department which includes hiring, disciplining and recommending other disciplinary action to the City Administrator, if necessary.
- Implement training of police officers whenever necessary.
- Establishment and maintenance of a healthy working environment for all personnel.
- Review, develop and implement policies and procedures that are in line with standard practices and requirements of Federal Law, State Law or Local Ordinances.
- Lead the day-to-day operations of the department to include conducting investigations (e.g. complaints) and maintaining peace and order in the town.
- Interpret laws, and ordinances and uphold them at all times.
- Submission of clear and complete written or oral reports as needed.
- Work with the City Administrator in preparing the annual budget.
- Perform all duties and responsibilities outlined in the Charter of the City and within Ordinances as directed to the Police Chief.
- Develop programs that will prevent criminal activity within the City.
- Perform public relations duties.
- Attend or assign a representative for all Board of Mayor and Aldermen meetings.
- Other duties as directed by the City Administrator and the Board of Mayor and Aldermen.
Police Chief Skills:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of budgeting and inventorying.
- Able to conduct training of police officers
- Computer literate, tech-savvy preferred
- Able to plan, organize, and administer a comprehensive police service program.
- High-level of critical and analytical thinking skills.
- Knowledge of police methods, administration and practices.
- Knowledge of Tennessee State Laws & Traffic Codes.
- Ability to review and update policies.
- Knowledge and expert level of skill in using firearms.
- Must possess a High School Diploma.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice or other related degree is preferred but not required.
- At least 10 years of progressive law enforcement experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in administration and/or experience as a commanding officer.
- Must pass extensive background check and drug screening.
- Must possess Tennessee P.O.S.T certification or be eligible for transition as described in Tennessee P.O.S.T. rules.
- Must possess a valid Tennessee Driver’s License or obtain within 30 days of hire.
Special Qualifications and Requirements:
- The Police Chief is expected to be an effective manager, concerned with the productivity and quality performance of the Police Department. The Police Chief must be capable of developing relationships with local leaders by being a visible asset to the town. The Police Chief must be able to work with other state and local law enforcement agencies when necessary. The Police Chief must have the communication skills necessary to be an effective leader.