The work of a New York State Trooper encompasses everything from traditional patrol duties to highly specialized investigations.
- Must be at least 21 years old to be appointed
- Must be appointed prior to 36th birthday, except the maximum age may be extended one year for each year of full-time active military duty – up to a maximum of 7 years.
- Must be a New York State resident and have a valid New York State driver’s license at time of appointment.
- Must be able to pass a Physical Ability Test (PAT): sit-ups, push-ups and a 1.5 mile run.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts any day of the week, including holidays.
Must possess a:
- Graduate certificate from senior high school, Or
- New York State High School Equivalency Diploma, Or
- Military GED Certificate, Or
- High School Equivalency diploma from another state converted to a NYS High School Equivalency Diploma,
- Must have completed 60 college credit hours at an accredited college or university.