State Police Trooper Trainee
The State of Connecticut, Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection, Division of State Police is currently accepting applications to establish a pool of qualified applicants to fill future vacant State Police Trooper Trainee positions across the State.
The Connecticut State Police offers numerous Career Opportunities across our beautiful State, with opportunities for promotional advancement and geographic transfers. Adding to the attractive locations and upward mobility are excellent Compensation and Benefits including a full Health Benefits package, along with additional Supplemental Benefits and a 25 year Hazardous Duty retirement.
Salary $41,603/year – $1,593.99/bi-weekly (After Graduation $57,441/year – $2,200.81/bi-weekly)
Close Date 5/31/2019 11:59:00 PM
At the State Police Training Academy, trainees receive formal and field instruction in a wide variety of basic police science courses including such subjects as motor vehicle law, laws, techniques and mechanics of arrest, criminal law, search and seizure, detention and transportation of accused, rules of evidence, interviewing and interrogation principles and techniques, communications, traffic control and techniques of patrol, use and care of firearms and equipment, court organization and courtroom procedure including testifying, modern investigative methods and techniques including fingerprinting, ballistics, photography, handwriting and related scientific elements; civil disorder and riot control techniques; accident investigation; first aid; physical training and self-defense tactics; additional courses related to performance of police work including dealing effectively with miscreants; oral communication skills; public speaking and public and community relations; police ethics; history and organization of criminal justice system and department rules, regulations and orders; upon successful completion of academic training is assigned to a troop to receive under close supervision on the job training and practical application of academic training in the full range of law enforcement activities; as knowledge is achieved, techniques mastered and maturity and judgment develop, is assigned increasingly responsible duties with latitude for independent judgment; performs related duties as required; following satisfactory performance of the one (1) year training, is reassigned to a position of State Police Trooper.
Experience and training which would have given the knowledge, skill and ability listed above.
Candidates who demonstrate some or all of the following will be given preference:
• Strong communications skills
• Stable work history
• Excellent attendance records
• Related education or work experience
• Military experience
• Experience working with difficult clientele
• Prior law enforcement experience
• Excellent driving history
• Strong computer skills
• Lifesaving/Medical certifications (CPR, EMR, EMT, Paramedic, LPN, RN)
1. Applicants for this class must have reached their 21st birthday.
2. Applicants must have received a high school diploma or GED before becoming a sworn member of the Division of State Police (CGS.29-3a).
3. Applicants are required to pass a Physical Ability Test prior to appointment.
4. Incumbents in this class must establish residence within Connecticut just prior to completion of the State Police Training Academy.
5. Incumbents must possess and retain a current Connecticut Motor Vehicle Operator's license during employment.