Special Police Officer 1
The Special Police Officer 1 is part of the George Washington University Police Department. The position is responsible for providing basic security and protection over persons and various University buildings within The George Washington University community, and to receive practical on-the-job and formal training necessary to attain a Special Police Commission from the District of Columbia. This position will report to the Police Sergeant for their respective shift.
• Patrols assigned areas and buildings to enforce DC laws and administrative GW ordinances.
• Responds to emergencies by assessing the situation and employing tact, diplomacy and individual judgment.
• May assist higher-level officers to conduct fact-finding investigations or specific projects, as well as occasionally appear in court regarding various incidents that occur within the University community as necessary.
• Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
This position is an Essential work position. These positions perform essential core safety and operational functions and typically need to be on campus even when access to campus is restricted. (For example: these employees reported to work daily throughout the pandemic – lab personnel, EHS staff, police officers, facilities staff among.)
Open Until Filled
• Valid driver’s license and be eligible to drive GW vehicles as per University policy
• Pass a physical exam, drug screen, psychological assessment, and background investigation.
• Must or be able to possess a District of Columbia Special Police Commission within 120 days of employment which requires:
o Must have a minimum of a high school diploma or GED.
o Officers must be a minimum of 21 years old.
o U.S. Citizenship required
• Must have one year of experience in protective services OR an Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice or a related field (Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice is preferred)
• Subject to Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• Must be able to pass GWPD administered physical fitness assessment (Cooper Fitness Standards) within 3 months of employment and a written assessment.